I’m not over exaggerating when I say that every single time I make this apple crisp to a party or gathering I’m asked for the recipe. It is a total crowd-pleaser and well loved by all. The slightly-tart Granny Smith Apples + sugar + oats + butter + cinnamon = perfection. Follow the directions below and you and those you make it for will love it.
- 10 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced (6 or 7 regular size)
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water
Base and Topping (note, this apple crisp has a bottom and top crust)
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter, melted
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 45 mins
Ready In: 1 hr 15 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degree C).
- Mix the white sugar, 1 tablespoon flour and ground cinnamon together. Lay apple slices in mixture and flip over apples so they are coated well.
- Combine the oats, 2 cups flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and melted butter together in a bowl.
- Place about ¼ of the oat mixture at the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan
- Place the sliced apples over the ¼ mixture
- Pour the rest of the sugar-cinnamon mix evenly over the apples
- Pour ¼ cup water evenly over apples
- Crumble the rest of the 3/4th oat mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 45 minutes.
- Take it out as soon as the top is lightly golden brown. Cool slightly and serve warm.
- Tastes even better paired with ice cream or whipping cream.