I love hearty meals—especially on cold winter days! Stroganoff is a flavorful, family-friendly, and easy hearty meal to make. And this is by far the best stroganoff I have ever had. Anyone I serve it to asks for the recipe. With the new year approaching, many are trying to eat foods with a fewer calories or carbs.
I’ve made this recipe in a variety of ways. I added lower fat and low carb ingredients/substitutions as options for those with diet restrictions. Even using many of the substitutions I have tried, this stroganoff still ends up tasting delicious!
Before we begin with the directions, let me just say that stroganoff is not a pretty meal and is very difficult to photograph and make look good. However, it is amazingly delicious! So in this case, the age-old-adage of not judging a book by its cover could be rephrased to, “Don’t judge a stroganoff recipe by its photo.”
Now that I’ve got the ugly-food-photo-disclosure out of the way, let’s begin cooking…
- Get a large saucepan/skillet and turn stove on to medium heat.
- Brown ground beef or turkey and onion. Drain off fat.
- Add seasonings, soup and milk. Simmer 20 minutes on medium heat. Stir frequently.
- Add sour cream and heat through on low-medium heat.
- Serve over noodles or mashed potatoes. For a carb and calorie-friendly version try serving it over canned (drained and heated) french cut green beans.
I hope you give this hearty beef or turkey stroganoff a try. It won’t disappoint.
spoon or spatula