I was once an essential oil skeptic. After many years of using them, I’m now a believer. Essential oils are so diverse and can be used in countless ways—most of which will save money. Here are 23 unique uses for essential oils.
- Get Rid Of Spiders & Mice – Fill a spray bottle with water, add 10-15 drops of Peppermint essential oil, and spray the peppermint water in the cracks and gaps where spiders & rodents can enter your home. Alternatively, add one or two drops of Peppermint oil to a cotton ball and place in these same areas.
- Halt Hiccups – Add 4-5 drops of Peppermint essential oil to 1 – 2 Tbsp of room temperature water to a shot glass full of water. Drink in one big gulp.
- Natural Mosquito Repellent – Combine one drop each of lemongrass oil, citronella oil and eucalyptus oil with one teaspoon of coconut oil to make natural bug spray and rub on exposed skin. Reapply as needed.
- Treat a Sunburn – Rub Tea tree oil that is slightly diluted with coconut oil on your sunburn. It not only hydrates but helps with pain and speeds the healing.
- Calm Upset Child – Help soothe and calm children by adding lavender or chamomile to their stuffed animals.
- Homemade Toothpaste – Combine sea salt, baking soda, coconut oil and xylitol with peppermint essential oil to make home remineralizing toothpaste. Then brush.
- Kill Mold – In a spray bottle, mix 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil with 2 cups of water. Spray on problem areas and don’t rinse. Another option is to mix 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar with 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Combat Hair Loss – Add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to a dollop of shampoo or conditioner to increase circulation to the scalp.
- Reduce Morning Sickness Caused by Pregnancy – Add a few drops of wild orange, lemon or ginger oil to a handkerchief and inhale. Or diffuse lemon, peppermint, and lavender next to your bed during the night and early morning.
- Reduce Teeth Grinding – Gently rub 1-3 drops of lavender oil on the bottom of your feet and behind your ears before you go to bed.
- Bruises – Essential oils work great as hot compresses in the treatment of bruises and other wounds. 5 drops of lavender and 5 drops of frankincense oil are enough for 4 oz of hot water. Soak the cloth in, and apply it to the affected area.
- Reduce Stretch Marks – Combine 5 drops of frankincense, myrrh, and grapefruit oil. Add some coconut oil and apply the mixture to the affected area.
- Get Rid of Dandruff – Combine 5 drops of rosemary and lavender oil, and add 3 tablespoons of unscented oil. Gently rub the mixture on your scalp and leave it on for 10 minutes. Shampoo well.
- Help with mites or aphids- Place a diffuser with Peppermint in it next to house plants infested with pesky mites or aphids. Or a combination of water and lemon essential oil in a spray bottle will also do the trick.
- Stay Alert – while driving or studying by inhaling the scent of any combination of Lavender, Sage, Frankincense, Lemon, Peppermint, Lemongrass, and/or Basil oils.
- Say “Goodnight” to Insomnia – by sprinkling Chamomile and Lavender oils onto your pillow. Add several drops of both oils to a cotton ball and keep near your head while resting.
- Dish/Floor/Counter/Cleaner – Fill your sink or a bucket with 1 1/2 gallons of hot water, add a touch of unscented dish soap, and 5-10 drops of the oil of your choosing. Good picks: lemon, tea tree, and mint.
- Deep Hair Conditioner – Add 15 drops of rosewood and 5 drops of sandalwood and lavender oil to some unscented oil. Put the mixture into a small plastic bag and dunk it into warm water. This will heat it up. Apply the conditioner on your hair and wrap it for 20 minutes. Shampoo as you regularly do.
- Boost Immunity – Combine a drop of oregano oil and 4 drops of carrier oil. Rub the mixture on the bottom of your feet.
- Help with Sadness – Add rose oil to your bath, inhalations or diffusers to boost your mood and relieve sadness.
- Whiten Your Teeth – Mix lemon essential oil, coconut oil and fresh strawberries. Rub the mixture on your teeth. Leave it on for 2 minutes and rinse.
- Improve Your Home Air Quality – Every time you change the air filters in your home, place a few drops of essential oil on the filter. It will kill microbes in your duct work, and make your home smell wonderful.
- Pedicures – Take a small roller bottle of Melaleuca essential oil to your next pedicure appointment and quickly dab and rub into each toenail before polish for an anti-fungal layer of protection.
So far I’ve been very pleased with many different brands of essential oils I’ve used. The most cost friendly brand I’ve found is Plant Therapy. Check them out if you’re looking for affordable high quality essential oil.
For other ‘rich living’ and money-saving tips, please subscribe, like me on Facebook, and follow me on Pinterest and Instagram.
Lucinda Nutting says
I tried the cleaning method with lemon essential oil, it worked wonders! I love that I don’t have to worry about harsh chemicals or smells. Thanks for the tip!