I really do love the convenience of pre-made baby food because I’m usually very busy. That said, if I can make a large batch easily, I like to make my baby’s food because it is more affordable and often more nutritious and fresh.
For this dynamite combo (apple blueberry puree), I was able to make it in a few minutes of prep time. And let it cook in the slow cooker on its own. It’s a fantastic recipe for busy moms!
I just used an apple core/slicer as shown below (link to it here) and prepped washed red delicious apples. I left the skin on for the nutritional contribution and to ease preparation.
I threw them in a crockpot with apple juice, some lemon juice, and water. I let them cook while I did other things on high for 4 hours. I turned off the crockpot and let them cool for an hour or so (optional).
Next, I put the apples in my BlendTec Blender-seriously they are amazing blenders by the way (this blender can blend or puree anything). So I pureed them.
Finally, I added the washed blueberries and pureed them in the blender together with the apples.
I cooled the puree (until it was warm) and served it to my daughter. She loved it.
I made quite a lot so I’ve halved the recipe that I came up with for you below.
The recipe found below should provide 1-2 baby meals daily for about a week.
- 3 Red Delicious Apples
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- ¼ Cup Apple juice
- ¼ Cup water
- ½ Tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- Core and slice washed red delicious apples (I left the skin on for the nutrition and ease of preparation).
- Put the apples in a crockpot with apple juice, some lemon juice and water and let them cook on high for 4 hours. Turn crockpot off and allow apples to cool for an hour or so (optional).
- Puree apples and washed blueberries in a blender.
- Serve warm or cool.
- Store in tupperware in fridge.