Cacciatore means “hunter” in Italian and is a dish that is often prepared with tomatoes, onions, herbs, and chicken or rabbit. This Chicken Cacciatore Slow Cooker Recipe is SO DELICIOUS and EASY. In 7 minutes prep and 5-6 hours slow cooking, your house will smell amazing and hearty appetites will be satisfied.
Bonus- This meal is so tasty that you’d never guess it is practically 99% fat free either. The onions and herbs really give it depth of flavor so there is no need to add butter or oil.
Add this to your Must-Make-Recipe list!
1. Place onion slices on the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Place frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts on onions.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
4. Pour combined ingredients over frozen chicken in slow cooker.
5. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on high heat stir ingredients once every 2 hours.
If desired, serve on prepared rice or pasta. Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2½-3 pounds of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (or 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- Prepared rice or pasta, optional
- Parmesan cheese (topping), optional
- Place onion slices on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place frozen chicken on onions.
- In a medium bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour mixed ingredients over frozen chicken in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on high heat. Stir once every 2 hours.
- If desired, serve with prepared rice or pasta.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.