This Halloween Burlap Bunting was simple, inexpensive, and fun to make…
A bunting, also known as a banner, is a fun way to decorate a mantel, a stair rail, doorway, or wall. I have a skeleton banner but I wanted to add a bunting for more interest and color.
I made this Halloween burlap banner with supplies I already had.
It was nice to not have to spend money on it. However, if you don’t have the supplies, it is still pretty affordable to make.
Halloween Burlap Bunting Supply List
Instructions on How to Make this Halloween Burlap Bunting
- Take ivory burlap fabric and cut it into 7-11 bunting/banner triangular shapes depending on how long you want the bunting to be.
2. Trace out or freehand draw 4-6 Halloween images (depending on how many triangular pieces of fabric you cut out). Reserve three for the letters B O O.
I just looked at some Halloween clipart and freehand drew it on with pencil.
I had to erase and correct the images a few times so I’d recommend using pencil.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to freehand, you can print off Halloween clipart and copy or print it to scale. Then trace over it a few times until it rips or bleeds a bit. Basically, trace it until you are able to get ink or pencil onto the bunting under the paper you are tracing.
I drew a black cat, Jack-O-lantern, a spooky haunted house with bat, and a witch’s cauldron.
3. Paint the images; let them dry.
4. Paint a second coat so that you have good coverage. This is because Jute/burlap fabric requires a few coats of paint to get good coverage.
5. Take a strip of orange burlap ribbon. If you’d like to reach the same look that I made, cut down the edges of the ribbon and fray it by pulling strings off each side.
6. Using medium-sized clothespins clip the buntings on the folded and frayed burlap ribbon.
7. Optional- Place it infront of a darker background such as black fabric.
I found using black fabric behind it helped display a nice contrast of colors. This Halloween Burlap Bunting was a great fit for my Halloween Witch-Themed Mantel.
I hope you can make something similar if desired as well.