Making this Homemade Diaper Rash Cream for Really Bad Rashes is easy and effective.
Side note—I published this post a few years ago. It has been very popular. I am republishing it so that new readers have a chance to see older content…
Both of my kids have really bad diaper rashes right now. When Desitin wasn’t working for my son a few months back and he had an extremely bad rash, I looked all over online.
I read multiple forums of people who had been told by their pediatricians to use the following formula. After reading about this concoction in over 10 different places (all who were advised by their pediatrician) I tried it out. My son’s rash was so bad it was raw. I put it on him and within 10 hours his rash was completely gone!
Because it worked so well I’m using it again on my kids’ rashes. They have a little bug of some sort. Runny noses and the runs so Desitin just wasn’t cutting it. I just changed my baby’s diaper and her rash has already greatly improved!
Having had it work wonders on my son a few months ago, and now on my daughter today I felt like I should share it with you.
Diaper Rash paste/cream (your choice)
1. Spoon 3 heaping spoonfuls of cornstarch into a plastic cup.
2. Next, add 5 spoonfuls of antacid to the cup.
3. Mix well. It should be in kind of a paste consistency.
4. Then use wipes that do not have alcohol or other harsh additives—a safe choice is to use paper towels with just water to clean the skin.
5. Allow the skin to air dry a bit.
6. Then cake the rash with the diaper rash cream of choice. I prefer Desitin maximum strength.
7. Pour the antacid/cornstarch mixture over the Desitin/affected area and then sprinkle with cornstarch to keep baby dry. Doing this allows the skin to dry out first, the Desitin to stick, the antacid fights the acidity, and the cornstarch keeps your baby dry.
8. Make sure to check the diaper and change it often.
9. Reapply with each diaper change. If there is no improvement with this protocol in 24 hours call your Doctor.
This has helped us during those rare times when my babies have had severe diaper rashes and were in a lot of pain.
You may also check out this roundup on 11 Homemade Diaper Rash Cream Recipes.