Making this Nacho Libre costume was pretty straightforward and for someone who can sew, it is very easy.
My son is such an active little dude. He doesn’t stop moving, jumping, running around, etc. That said he is not even two years old so some of his ‘moves’ are a little funny to watch. One day I got the idea to dress up him as Nacho on “Nacho Libre” on Halloween. If you haven’t seen the movie, I highly recommend it… but only if you like stupid humor like Napoleon Dynamite.
Here’s how to make this Nacho Libre costume.
What you will need:
- You will need 1 pair of blue leggings, kids found here, adult found here
- 1 pair of red leggings (kids found here), adult found here
- white yarn,
- a sewing machine,
- pencil or fabric chalk
- a needle with a big eye-lit,
- super glue or super glue gel (I used the gel)
- brown make up pencil (for mustache)
- shoes (preferably converse-like style).
- you can order a nacho mask here,
- and a curly wig,
- you can also make or order a cape here.
NOTE: My son would not wear a cape. I tried multiple times. Because of this, I decided not to make one. I was also almost sure he wouldn’t wear a wig either so I just put a bunch of moose in his hair and made it messy looking.
1. Have the person put on the blue leggings or thick tights. Then have them put the red leggings over. Mark with fabric chalk where the cuts should be made for the loin area. Cut but make sure to leave a little longer to be able to hem it up. 2. Next, turn the red diaper shape inside out and hem the edges with a sewing machine.
3. Have a person wear just the blue leggings and mark with fabric chalk or pencil wear knees are. This is for the red knee patches. Then to the next step before cutting out the knee patches in the extra red fabric.
4. It’s important to do the shoes before doing the red knee patches so you have plenty of red leggings left to work with. So for this step Put the shoe inside the legging. Make sure the bottom of the legging (already hemmed part) is at the top above the shoe. Leave enough room for the legging to fall about mid calf on the person.
5. Next, cut the legging on the bottom of the shoe as shown below:
6. Now, fold the extra material under so form a nice edge and super glue (I like using the super glue gel) and glue the fabric to the shoe, just above the sole so the person still has traction from the shoe.
NOTE: I tried hot glue first and it would work well for a non-walker (a baby) but for anyone who walks, hot glue will not hold. You need to use super glue. I got these shoes for $3.00 at a thrift store so I wasn’t worried about them. If you are worried about the shoe you could try hot glue and just touch up after each time the person wears the shoes.
7. After you have the shoes glued together, get white yarn or a white shoelace and a yarn needle (or a needle with a big eyelit) and lace the shoes with the laces or yarn. I used thick yarn because it went through the material much easier than the shoe lace would.
8. Now with the leftover material from the red leggings, cut out rectangles that will fit over the knee area, making sure to leave room to sew the edges under.
9. After you sew all four edges under on both knee patches you will either need to hand sew them onto the leggings… or you can break a bunch of sewing rules like me and sew them on with the machine by feeding the leggings under the presser foot as shown:
10. After you sew on one knee patch fold the pant in half and make a few marks so the other knee patch is at the same spot on the other legging and sew the other knee patch on.
Put on all pieces of clothing, draw a mustache on and you are ready to go. To add more to the costume you can order this mask (there are kids and adult sizes), get a wig if desired, and this cape (adult and kid sizes) if desired.